10.02.2016

Bring Life to the Valley

The 23rd Psalm is familiar.  It's generally used as a comfort, often in the context of a funeral or time of trouble, but one day recently it resonated with me in a whole new way.

I was reading a story of some mission work, looking at pictures of real-life desperation.
Inescapable, indescribable desperation.

As I looked I prayed, and God spoke.
"The valley of the shadow of death."

He repeated.
"The valley of the shadow of death."

So, I started reeling back in my mind and reciting:

Psalm23  
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.

Even though I walk 
through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

I realized this Psalm was much bigger.
This Psalm I had heard my entire life spoke to me in a brand new way.

See, in the first verse, we acknowledge the Lord as our Shepherd.
It's followed by things we expect from our Shepherd, places we would expect to be led as His sheep.
But in verse 4 - He is still the Shepherd.
He is still leading, and we are still following.
The valley of the shadow of death is not speaking to our death and dying.
It is not the difficulties of life that "happen" to arise in our journey.
It is where the Shepherd is leading us.

Read it again:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.

Even though I walk 
through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Now I read the 23rd Psalm like a prophetic word about the call to discipleship Jesus brings in the New Testament.

Jesus proclaimed Himself the Good Shepherd:
"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.  He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.  I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me,  just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.  And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.  For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again.  No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”
John 10:11-18

The first 3 verses are easy to accept.  Jesus will lead us in righteousness, will provide, will restore us.
1   The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2     He makes me lie down in green pastures.        
He leads me beside still waters.
3     He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.


But then, if you look at what Jesus actually calls us to:
Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.  For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.    Matthew 16:24-25   
Following Jesus is sacrifice.
Jesus spent His ministry describing how the Kingdom of God is a reverse to the way we try to live.
(Matthew 5-7 Sermon on the Mount)
 
And the prophecy in Isaiah that Jesus said He fulfills:
And the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written,
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
    and recovering of sight to the blind,
    to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.”      Luke 4:17-19
The poor, captives, blind, and oppressed are not in desirable places.
It's obvious that following Him is not all green pastures and still waters.

4Even though I walk 
through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.


Death - by spiritual definition is separation from GodThe valley of the shadow of death to me speaks to this world and this life.  
In Eden, we were not separated.  Sin separated us.
Because of this separation, our world has become a place of death and dying.
People all around us are separated from God or are suffering as a result of this world's separation.

The valley of the shadow of death shows up in the physical with things like poverty and disease.
It reveals itself in the hidden parts of brokenness, sadness, and hatred.
Even more painful are places where life is stolen, killed, or destroyed.
Evil is the source.
But, evil will not win.
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. - John 10:10

We follow our Shepherd with no fear of evil.
His rod and His staff are comfort.
And we have the Armor of God:
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.
Ephesians 6:11

You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;

 We even eat in the presence of this enemy.
We are sustained in all ways by the provision of our Shepherd.
Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst."  John 6:35

you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.

We are anointed by His Holy Spirit to do good works and fulfill His purpose.
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."  Romans 15:13

And, it ends with the promise and hope of eternal life.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me 
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


 -------------------------------
I now read this Psalm differently.
I read it as a prophecy to discipleship in Jesus - The Great Commission.
I read it as a call to action.
I will follow my Shepherd through the valley of the shadow of death- and bring Life.

 
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.        
He leads me beside still waters.
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.

Even though I walk 
through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.



John 14 
 “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
...

12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. 18 “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?” 23 Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me.
25 “These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. 28 You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away, and I will come to you.’ If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. 29 And now I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place you may believe. 30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no claim on me, 31 but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Rise, let us go from here.

Matthew 28:19-20
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.  And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
 
Bring Life to the Valley

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I also love the 23rd Psalm. God has worked on me with this Psalm as it is used frequently at funerals and graveside services. What has struck me recently is this...

    The Valley of the Shadow of Death and the green pastures may not be different places, they can be the same. What separates the shadowed valley from the green pasture? The Light. In our case, the Light of the Good Shepherd.

    In a world where the Kingdom of God (Heaven) was initiated by Christ but hasn't come in its fullness yet, we get to live in the valley where warm sun and cool water produce green pastures where we are led and lay down, but even in faith the day can turn to night. We lay in the same green pasture next to the same stream, but darkness seems comes to threaten. Yet, come what may, morning always breaks and darkness retreats!

    Good word, my friend!

    - Stephen@Salem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And like you were talking about this morning - the "mountain top" moments. Those are awesome and true and real, but momentary. I think we (the church) have a tendency to rely on them personally, but also to only offer those (or opportunity for those) to others. Then it's confusing how God fits in to real life. God is in the midst of all life, the source of life actually. He has chosen for us to bring that life to the shadow.(Just like you were saying) We meet each other in the real, where life stings - but oh, “Death is swallowed up in victory. 'O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?'
      56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
      58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."- 1 Cor. 15:55-58
      The Good News is oh so good!!!
      Thank you!! I LOVE talkin' scripture! - Jonna

      Delete